Every dog parent wants what is best for their dog, so it comes as no surprise that we are constantly looking for new, better, and tastier dog treats for our pups.
Since there are endless types, flavors, and brands of dog treats available on the market, we have tried to narrow down the choice to the 20 best dog treats for 2022 for you.
We have carefully assessed and tested various treats and snacks for dogs, and have picked the best of all types for every taste and for every need.
Best Dog Treats
Read on to find out more about these excellent quality dog treats which your canine friend will definitely love and appreciate as well.
Made of real peanut butter and with real chicken and veggies, these affordable dog treats are among the best sellers on the market.
They are an excellent alternative to rawhide treats and obviously have a great taste because dogs simply love these SmartBones SmartSticks.
They are much more digestible than top-quality dog foods and are excellent treats for all good pups.
- An affordable price
- Made of real chicken, corn, peanut butter, and other delicious and healthy ingredients
- They are 55 kcal per chew
- The crude protein is 9%, and the crude fat is 0.2%, the moisture is 14%
- The treats are rawhide-free and safe
- Excellent for dogs of all breeds and sizes
- They are 99.2% digestible
- The treats provide a long-lasting tasty chewing experience for the dog without any hazards of chocking or sharp splinters
- Each stick is about 5 inches long
- It is sold in packs of 5 and 10 tasty sticks
- Some other SmartBones treats include the Skin and coat care chicken chews, Calming care Chicken chews, Mini Peanut Butter chew bones, Stuffed Twistz Peanut Butter Chews, Hip and Joint care treats, Beef chew sticks, Sweet potato treats, and many other variants to choose from
These inexpensive grain-free oven-baked dog biscuit treats by American Journey, are crunchy, delicious, and healthy snacks that are small-sized but full of flavor which every pup will love. They are made of real peanut butter which is oven-baked with healthy chickpeas and peas.
- Sold at a very reasonable price
- The biscuits are 100% grain-free with no corn or soy, so they are an excellent option for dogs with food sensitivities
- Their delicious crispy flavor is due to the fact that they are oven-baked
- They contain no artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, or poultry meal by-products
- The wholesome chickpeas substitute the grains
- Their small size makes them suitable to carry in your pocket
- Sold in 8 or 16 oz. bags
- They are only 13 kcal per biscuit
- Made of chickpeas, peas, peanut butter, cane molasses, chicken fat
- The protein content is 16% and the crude fat is 9%, the moisture is 12% and they contain 6% healthy fibers
- The other oven-baked dog biscuits offered by American Journey include a lamb recipe, salmon recipe, chicken recipe, turkey recipe, and others
If you are looking for top-quality bones and natural chews for your dog, you can’t go wrong with the USA Bones & Chews Roasted Marrow Bone dog treat. This 6-inch marrowbone is the perfect treat to satisfy the natural palate of any dog.
- Made of 100% natural beef bones from the USA
- They are slow-roasted so as to preserve their natural flavor
- Filled with natural marrow which your pup will simply love munching on
- Each 6-inch bone provides a long-lasting treat for dogs who love chewing
- It doesn’t contain artificial colors, flavors or preservatives, or dangerous chemicals
- The bones have been hand-trimmed and include natural marrow for a long-lasting natural meaty taste
- The treat is rich in protein and moisture
- Made in the USA
- Suitable for medium, large, and giant dog breeds
- USA Bones & Chews offer a wide variety of all-natural bone, bully stick, and chew treats for dogs to choose from
The Red Meat grain-free biscuits offered by Blue Buffalo are specially formulated to satisfy the natural cravings of dogs for red meat. They are gluten-free and grain-free so your pup can enjoy a protein-rich treat without the harmful grains which can cause sensitivities in some canines.
- The delicious oven-baked dog biscuits are 100% grain-free and high in protein
- Perfect for dogs with gluten, poultry, and wheat sensitivities
- They contain omega fatty acids for skin and coat health
- The recipe is designed to satisfy the ancestral cravings of canines for pure red meat
- The dog treats contain no chicken or poultry by-products
- There are no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives in these healthy dog treats
- The caloric value is 38 kcal per biscuit
- The protein is 27%, the fat is 15% and there is 11% moisture in the treats
- The first 5 ingredients used are beef, chicken meal, chicken fat, flaxseed, and venison
- The other recipes from the Blue Buffalo wilderness dog treat series include: duck, salmon, chicken jerky, turkey, wild salmon and venison, chicken and turkey, turkey jerky, and others
- The healthy dog biscuits are offered in 8oz. packs
Related article: Best Insulated Dog Houses
One of the best dental chew dogs treats on the market for 2022, the Purina Dentalife ActiveFresh will not only help your pup’s teeth to stay clean and healthy and remove the bad odor but will also bring joy to any dog thanks to their savory recipe and fun texture.
- Made of a healthy blend of honey and natural spirulina which will remove the bad odor from the mouth of your pup
- Each chewy stick has 9 ridges and a pleasant texture which will efficiently remove the tartar and plaque from the teeth as your dog enjoys its treat
- Free of artificial colors and flavors
- The dental chews by Purina have a delicious chicken flavor
- Designed for medium and small dog breeds weighing 20 to 40 lbs.
- The first 5 ingredients are honey and spirulina, animal fat, calcium carbonate, and preservatives
- They are sold in packs of 9, 21, 35, and 90 sticks
If you prefer to reward your dog with freeze-dried dog treats, then you should opt for the Bones & Chews All-Natural Beef recipe for freeze-dried dog treats. They are made of simple ingredients one of which is real beef. Thanks to freeze-drying technology, all nutrients are preserved in the process.
- Made of beef, beef liver, beef tripe, mixed tocopherols, and natural flavor
- Each of the treats is only 6 kcal
- They have 25% protein, 50% fat, and 6% moisture
- The treats are freeze-dried with minimal processing for a healthy, nutritional, and high protein experience
- You can feed them directly to your pup or add them to its food
- They are 100% grain-free
- No artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives are added
- Made of a simple recipe
- They can be stored without being refrigerated
- Sold in 3.5 oz. bags
- You can also choose the All-Natural Chicken recipe for freeze-dried dog treats by Bones & Chews
If you would like to reward your fur baby with smaller soft and chewy dog treats, then you should try out the Wellness WellBites Chicken and Venison recipe. These tasty bites are not only delicious but they are nutritious as well. Filled with healthy ingredients and superfoods, these soft dog treats are perfect for spoiling your pup.
- The treats are small, soft, and chewy
- The first 5 ingredients used are chicken, venison, chickpeas, ground potatoes, and vegetable glycerin
- Each piece is only 12.1 kcal
- The protein content is 15%, the fat is 7% and the moisture is 30%
- There are no artificial flavors or colors used
- The bites are grain-free, without by-products and gluten or soy
- They include superfoods like sweet potatoes and blueberries
- The bites can be used for training, feeding, or simple spoiling
- Made in the USA
- Suitable for dogs of all sizes and breeds
- You can also choose from the other recipes in the series including Puppy salmon and lamb, beef and turkey, turkey and duck, Chicken and lamb soft bites
- The treats are sold in 6oz. bags
These cute and delicious Milk-Bone soft and chewy beef and filet mignon recipes are the perfect treat for any dog of any size. They have a premium meaty taste with a natural smoke flavor which will bring joy to any dog at any time. Easy to chew and soft, these small bones are perfect even for senior dogs and pups with gum or dental problems.
- The first ingredients used for these soft treats are beef, chicken, soy grits, sugar, and corn starch
- They have 18% protein, 8% fat, and 22% moisture
- The soft dog treats are enriched with 12 healthy vitamins and minerals
- They provide a high-protein snack suitable for any dog
- Thanks to the soft texture of the treats they can be enjoyed even by dogs with tooth or gum problems
- Sold in 5.6oz. boxes or 25oz. tubs
- You can choose from the wide variety of other excellent quality dog treats offered by Milk-Bone
If your dog gets bored of getting the same treats all the time, you should opt for the Original Assortment oven-baked biscuits offered by Old Mother Hubbard. Each bag contains small cheddar, chicken, and original and charcoal biscuits so you can give your pup a different tasting treat every time.
- They are offered in 5oz., 20oz, 3.5lbs., 3.8lbs., 6lbs. and 20 lbs. bags and boxes
- The bones are available in mini, small, and large sizes
- Each bag contains an assortment of healthy, all-natural, and oven-baked crunchy snacks
- The recipes include original, cheddar, chicken, and char tar biscuits for dogs
- They are all made of wholesome and real ingredients including chicken, cheddar cheese, charcoal, carrots, apples, and eggs
- The dog treats are oven-baked slowly which helps preserve the delicious taste and provide that special crunch that every dog will love
- There are no artificial preservatives used for preparing these delicious assorted dog biscuits
- They are made in the USA with top-quality ingredients
- Each snack has 33 kcal
- The protein content is 12%, the fat is 7% and the moisture is 11%
The Beef flavored Canine Carry Outs are another superb option for dogs who prefer soft and chewy treats. They come in a nifty resealable package so you can pop them in your pocket or in your bag when you go out with your pup.
- Perfect for dogs of all breeds and sizes, and can even be broken down into smaller pieces for puppies
- The first 5 ingredients used are chicken, corn syrup, soy flour, wheat flour, and corn starch
- Every piece is 23 kcal
- The protein content is 12.5%, the fat is 7% and the moisture is 30%
- The snacks have added calcium for healthy teeth and bones
- Sold in re-sealable packages which make them great for on-the-go
- They can be handed out as treats or added to the food of picky eaters
- Their flavor and smell will appeal to all dogs
- Sold in bags of 5, 25, and 50oz.
- The other recipes offered by Canine Carry Outs include: Chicken, Beef hot dog, Steak, Bacon, Burger, Beef and Cheese, Beef and bacon, Bacon and cheese
If you are looking for delicious and wholesome dog treats for your fur baby, then you should definitely try out the Blue Buffalo Blue Stix Beef recipe for pepperoni-style treats. They are meaty and moist, have zero preservatives, and are made of healthy and wholesome ingredients which are not only delicious but are good for the dog too.
- The ingredients used are real beef, potatoes, vegetable glycerin, pea protein, and cane sugar
- The treats are packed with vitamins, superfoods, and omega fatty acids
- The calorie content of each stick is 37 kcal
- The protein is 16%, the fat is 8% and the moisture is 25%
- They have a meaty and appealing smell and flavor for every dog
- No wheat, no corn, no soy, and no poultry by-product meals are used for their making
- No artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors are used
- They are also an excellent source of essential minerals and vitamins – all from the natural ingredients used
- Available in bags of 6 and 13 oz.
- You can also pick the Blue Buffalo Sizzlers with real pork, the Blue Stix Lamb pepperoni-style, the Blue Stix Chicken or Sizzlers with cheddar and bacon, the Blue Stix Lean Beef or the Blue Stix bacon recipes from the series
These delicious, healthy, and premium quality soft and chewy dog treats are one of the best gifts you can get for your pup. They are made with simple yet real and wholesome ingredients and will bring joy to just about any dog every time. Plus, you can surprise your pup with either a soft and chewy or a nice and crunchy treat every time.
- Made of real and wholesome ingredients including beef, chicken, soy grits, molasses, and sage
- Designed and prepared to provide the perfect mixture of soft and chewy and crunchy snacks – there are treats of both types in each pouch
- 100% grain-free and gluten-free
- Made of limited ingredients which you can easily recognize and which you can give to pups with food allergies
- High-protein content of 25%
- They have 6% fat and 25% moisture and are 29 kcal per bite
- Also available in Tasty Tender Turkey and Chicken, Tasty tender beef and chicken, Crispy Cuts beef and blueberries, and Crispy cuts chicken and apple recipes from this series by Purina
- Sold in pouches of 16 or 30oz.
If you want to reward your dog with the best all-natural bully sticks, then these 12-inch Braided Bully Sticks by USA Bones & Chews are one of the best choices you can make.
They are 100% digestible, all-natural, and have no grain, preservatives, or other artificial ingredients. Plus, they will provide a satisfying chewing experience for your pup and help clean its teeth at the same time.
- Made of beef pizzle these bully sticks provide a high-protein, completely digestible, and enjoyable treat for medium, large, and giant dog breeds
- Sold in packs of 1, 3, and 25 sticks
- Each stick is 12 inches long and will keep your dog entertained for a long time
- They do not contain any grain, artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- The texture and braided design will satisfy the chewing instincts of any dog
- The sticks will also help clean the dog’s teeth
- They have been slow-roasted so that all the nutrients and the flavor are conserved
- Made with a single ingredient – suitable for dogs with food sensitivities or allergies
- 100% digestible protein
- You can also get them in a shorter size of 6 inches, suitable for smaller dogs
If you are looking for a chewy dog treat that will keep your dog entertained and gnawing for long, then you may want to opt for this premium quality Redbarn Naturals Bully Ring Dog Treats. They are shaped in rings and will provide a long-lasting a tasty enjoyment for your pup.
- Single-ingredient dog treats made of free-range grass-fed American beef
- Completely digestible and high in protein (80%)
- Designed to provide entertainment for dogs of all sizes
- Helps keeps the teeth clean and the gums healthy
- They get chewy when wet and are incredibly palatable
- One ring is 92 kcal
- Sold in a small-sized ring shape in packages of 1, 3 or 35
Does your dog deserve the tastiest and the healthiest treat? Then, you should try out these wild-caught, hand-rolled, and dehydrated cod skins suitable for both cats and dogs. High in protein, made of a single wild-caught ingredient, you can hardly find a healthier and more delicious treat for your pup.
- Made of wild-caught cod from Alaska
- The skin is hand-rolled and slowly dehydrated in the Polkadog Bakery kitchen in Boston
- The result is an incredibly savory, crunchy, and all-natural treat
- The single-ingredient recipe made of 100% wild-caught Alaskan Cod
- No added preservatives
- 70% protein, 2% fat, and 10% moisture
- 3260 kcal per kilogram
- Sold in 4.7oz. tubes, or 1, 2, or 5lbs. bags
- Also available by Polkadog bakery: Cod skins and Haddock skins or Cod skins and Chicken jerky strips
These Jumbo Bully Sticks by Bone & Chews are perfect for dogs that are aggressive chewers and will keep their mind off chewing on inappropriate or unsafe objects. Each of these sticks provides a high-protein and all-natural experience for pups and will definitely satisfy their ancestral cravings for real meat and for chewing.
- Larger than traditional bully sticks, these are 12 inches long and extra thick
- Suitable for dogs of all sizes, and especially for pups who love chewing
- Made of 100% beef they are completely digestible
- An excellent and safe alternative to rawhide
- No preservatives or chemicals are used in their making
- Sold in cases of 1, 3 or 20 sticks
Related: Dog Swallowed Bully Stick. What Should I Do?
You want to ensure that your dog has clean and healthy teeth, you should buy it these delicious and healthy All-Natural Dental Chew Sticks by Bones & Chews. They are designed to reach all of the teeth – even those in the back of the dog’s mouth and also provide a satisfying experience for the pup’s instinct to chew.
- Made with savory chicken flavor
- The ingredients include rice flour, wheat flour, vegetable glycerin, pork gelatin, and natural chicken flavor
- Each treat is 70 kcal
- The protein is 8%, the fat is 1% and the moisture is 18%
- Designed to clean all teeth from tartar and plaque and freshen the breath
- It can help clean even the hardest to reach back teeth
- No sugars added
- Easy to digest
- Each stick can be broken up for smaller pups
- No artificial colors, flavors or added preservatives
- Made in the USA
- Sold in bags of 32 sticks
- The other treats from the Bones & Chews All-Natural dog treat series are: Grain-free jerky from real beef, Grain-free jerky from real chicken and Grain-free jerky from real turkey
These Greenies Teenie Dental Dog treats have been recommended by vets for tooth cleaning, fresh breath, and gum health. By giving your pup these treats you can help reduce the number of times you need to go to the vet for a professional dental cleaning.
- Recommended by vets
- Can reduce the stress and the expenses for professional dental cleaning of the dog
- With added minerals and vitamins
- The small size of the chews is suitable for dogs weighing 5 to 15 lbs.
- Made of all-natural and soluble ingredients for easy digestion
- Accepted by the Veterinary Oral Health Council
- Each treat is 26 kcal
- The protein content is 30%, the fat is 5.5% and the moisture is 15%
- Sold in packs of 11, 22, 43, 65, 96, 130 and 4 x 65
These crunchy and delicious dog treats will provide your pup with the nutrition it needs and will help keep its digestive system, skin, and coat healthy. Made with natural ingredients and superfoods, the Hill’s Science Diet Fruity Snacks with Cranberries and Oatmeal will make your dog happy and healthy.
- With added cranberries which are rich in vitamins, minerals, and other phytonutrients
- The treats are crunchy and will be enjoyed by any dog
- The oatmeal included helps support a healthy digestive system
- The omega fatty acids from the flaxseed are essential for keeping the skin and the coat of the dog healthy
- They have no artificial flavors or preservatives
- They contain no corn
- The first 5 ingredients used are whole grain wheat, oat flour, cranberries, oatmeal, and chicken meal
- Each treat is 24.21 kcal
- The protein content is 14%, the fat is 4% and the fiber is 5%
- Offered in 8oz. packs
- You can choose from over 15 other recipes from the Hill’s Science Diet dog treat series
For all of you who know how important it is to keep your pup happy and in good shape and at the same time provide it with a delicious treat as a reward or as an act of love, Pup-Peroni has created the Minis Original Beef Flavor Treats.
They are suitable for dogs of all breeds and sizes and can be used as training treats for the smallest of dogs.
- Made with all-natural beef
- Slow-cooked so that the flavors and nutrients are preserved naturally
- They are suitable as rewards and for training
- The sticks provide a tasty and chewy experience
- They can be broken into smaller pieces for the smallest dogs and puppies
- Each stick is slightly longer than 1 inch
- Each treat is 10 kcal
- 24% protein, 12% fat and 24% moisture
The different types of treats for your dog
Whether you use them for training purposes, as rewards, or as additives to your dog’s meals, dog treats should be up to 10% of your dog’s daily diet. There are thousands of dog treats available on the market, so choosing the best type and brand for your pup can become confusing.
Here are the main types of dog treats you can choose from:
Crunchy dog treats
They are also referred to as dog biscuits and are available in a wide variety of shapes, flavors, and sizes. Always choose a treat or snack which is appropriately sized for your dog. Also, look for crunchy dog treats which provide the same nutritional and health qualities as premium-grade dog food. They are excellent for everyday rewards for your dogs as well as for training them.
Soft dog treats
These chewy and soft dog treats are also offered in all kinds of shapes, forms, flavors, and types. They are very useful when training the dog because of their palatable texture and tastes. You may want to use smaller-sized soft dog treats when training your pup in order to prevent it from consuming too many calories. As long as your dog eats the treat quickly, it is clear that it has understood that it is a reward for its good behavior. Always choose soft dog treats that include ingredients that are suitable for your pup’s specific dietary needs or any food sensitivities it has.
Soft treats are also excellent snacks for senior dogs and for pups with tooth or gum problems because they are easy to chew and swallow.
Freeze-dried, dehydrated, and jerky dog treats
These special treats are available in the form of meat, poultry, seafood, liver, and other proteins. They are made to satisfy the cravings of the dog for natural proteins as well as for chewing. They can be used as rewards during training or as occasional treats for any dog, and your pup will truly appreciate their taste and texture. Make sure you choose freeze-dried or jerky treats which are made by a reputable manufacturer that uses natural ingredients and no preservatives or other harmful artificial additives when preparing the tasty treats for your dog.
Dental chew dog treats
These treats are designed to help clean the teeth of your dog from tartar and plaque buildups and to improve oral health and smell as well. They are not made from real bones, but rather from other digestible ingredients such as corn starch. They are definitely safer than real bones, but there are still dangers if a dog gulps up a large piece and it blocks its stomach or intestines. Choose dental treats which are suitably sized for your dog, as well as ones that are soft enough for your dog to chew on safely without damaging its teeth.
Special diet dog treats
These dog treats are made for dogs with specific dietary requirements or medical conditions. Some treats are made for overweight pups, and others are sold with a prescription and are intended for dogs with specific health problems such as digestive, urinary, skin, or other conditions.
There are some dog treats that are fortified with added vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, omegas, and other healthy nutrients which can help improve the health of your dog and provide it with the essential nutrients it needs to stay healthy and well.
Training dog treats
Every dog needs to be socialized and trained, preferably from an early age. Since it is recommended to use positive reinforcement for the best results with obedience training, buying the appropriate training dog treats is essential. Choose healthy and well-balanced dog treats especially for intensive training sessions because you want to prevent your dog from becoming overweight and obese. Still, you will need to provide your dog with treats which it really enjoys in order for it to understand that they are given as rewards for its good behavior and obedience.
Limited ingredient dog treats
These treats are made of only one or just a few, easily recognizable ingredients. With simple recipes, you will know exactly what you are feeding your dog, and will help prevent negative responses in dogs that have food sensitivities or allergies. Always look at the ingredient list of the dog food and treats you are buying to make sure that you recognize all ingredients, and that they don’t contain any specific ingredients you are trying to keep your dog away from.
The best dog treats do not include artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors, as well as any added chemicals or potentially harmful substances for the pup. Any by-products or ingredients which are from unknown sources are also something to stay away from.
Human dog treats
If you want to treat your dog with human-grade food, make sure you do it with foods that are safe and suitable for canines. Some healthy ideas for human treats include lean meat, poultry, carrots, seafood or apples. Abstain from feeding your dog with onions, raisins, chocolate, nuts, or grapes because they can be toxic for the pup.
Also, do not add seasoning or sauces to the treats you feed your dog, and avoid feeding it with scraps from your food.
Hopefully, you have found the dog treats that you have always wanted to give to your good pup in our list of the best dog treats for 2022.
We have chosen treats of all types, suitable for all purposes including training, rewarding good behavior, entertaining, teeth cleaning as well as additives to the food for dogs who are picky eaters.
Make sure you don’t overdo it when spoiling your dog and remember that the caloric intake from treats per day should be no more than 10% of the overall daily calorie intake.
If you keep your dog happy and weighing normally, it will be healthier and live longer.
Still, every good dog deserves a delicious treat from time to time, right?
Good luck with your choice and we hope that your pup enjoys the treats you have picked!